Paleo Smash Cake

I can’t believe it’s been almost 2 months since Rory turned 1! It’s about time I share the deets on his cake. I wanted to do the usual “smash cake” but without grains and sugar, since he hadn’t had either of these things at the time of his first birthday (I have since introduced a little grains but will be avoiding sugar for as long as I have control over that situation!). I followed this paleo smash cake recipe but made a few changes, since he tolerates fruit and eggs just fine. 

My favorite ingredient in the recipe was the beef tallow. I hadn’t used it before, and now I’m so excited to have it in my pantry.  While beef tallow is commonly used in face moisturizers, cleaners and make up, it’s also great for cooking. It is heat stable up to 400 degrees fahrenheit, is a great source of fat soluble vitamins A, D and K and is resistant to oxidation (unlike polyunsaturated fats found in vegetable oils). It gave this cake a great, almost “fried” texture, similar to that of a donut. 

This recipe obviously doesn’t have to be made as a smash cake. You bet I enjoyed Rory’s leftovers for breakfast the day after his party!


Paleo Smash Cake



1 cup japanese sweet potato, steamed and mashed

¼ cup coconut flour

2 tablespoons beef tallow

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg

1 teaspoon lemon juice


½ avocado

½ large banana, mashed

¼ cup coconut milk

¼ cup cacao powder

2 teaspoons coconut oil


Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Combine the cake ingredients except for the egg and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth. Then drizzle in a whisked egg and then the lemon juice while the processor is running. Run for about 30 more seconds.

Separate batter into 3 equal parts. Roll into balls and flatten on the baking sheet. 

Bake for 15 minutes and then let cool completely. They will be a little soft when you take them out of the oven.

Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by combining all ingredients in a food processor and blending until smooth. 

Transfer frosting to a bowl and let chill in the refrigerator. 

Once the cake is completely cool, frost just as you would a normal 3 layer cake.


Introducing Solids to Your Baby

Wondering which foods to introduce to your little one and when? Luckily, introducing solids to your baby can be a very fun, relaxed experience. If you follow me on Instagram, you have probably seen that I have used the Baby Led Weaning method of introducing solids to Rory. The theory behind BLW is that babies aren’t able to easily digest food until they are 6 months old, nor do they need it. Breastmilk is exactly what they need to meet their nutritional needs for the first year. At 6 months, they are also past the point of only being able to consume purees, so using this method, you skip the puree phase and you simply give your baby what you are eating (or a baby-friendly version)! Baby Led Weaning is said to help the development of motor skills and the diversification of the child’s palate, producing less picky eaters.


While I have loved Baby Led Weaning as a guideline for how to feed my baby, it doesn’t go too far into detail on the best way to feed your baby nutritionally.

Here are some guidelines to help you choose which foods to introduce to your little one:

Fat- This is SO important for growing babies. Healthy sources of fats are essential for brain development. Try coconut oil, grass fed butter or ghee, avocado, egg yolks. You can cook vegetables in fat or spread it on top of a veggie or other food.

Protein - Baby’s iron stores start to decrease at around six months, so introducing meat can help them get sufficient iron. Give them a tough piece of meat to chew on to start. Offering slow-cooked, shredded or ground meat or chicken are also good ways to introduce meat, especially when they start to bite and swallow. Flaky fish is soft enough for them to eat as well. 

Vegetables - When first introducing vegetables, cut them into sticks before or after cooking so they can easily pick up and bring to their mouth. You can steam or roast them so that they are soft. When they get a little older and develop the “pincer grip” you can cut the vegetables into smaller pieces. Try carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, you name it! I also blend spinach into “pancakes” made out of egg yolk and banana or will chop it really tiny and mix it into a scrambled egg yolk.

Fruit - Fruit can also be cut up into sticks or wedges and cooked until soft. I steam or pan fry apples and pears in coconut oil and cinnamon. Bananas are also an easy fruit to grab and chew on. Fruit can be very easy to give to babies because there is a high chance they will enjoy it and actually eat it, so I always try to prioritize other foods over fruit when putting together a meal, especially because I deem fat, protein and vegetables more important.

Bone broth -aka nutrient power house! Bone broth is also great for digestion. Put it in a little cup for your baby to drink or mash up egg yolk or avocado with a little broth. Cooking vegetables in broth can give them a nutritional boost while also providing a good flavor.

Breastmilk - Continue to breastfeed as you normally would when first introducing solid foods to your baby. If you do choose to use Baby Led Weaning, babies aren’t actually swallowing much food for at least the first few weeks. The beginning stages are mostly about play and learning about different tastes and textures. During this time, breastmilk (or formula, if that’s what you choose) still provides 100% of a baby’s nutritional needs. As the baby slowly starts consuming more food over time, they will slowly start to consume less milk.

Allergens - Studies have shown that introducing allergens at an early age can help avoid the development of an allergy. This includes nuts, peanuts (give these in butter form so they don’t choke), eggs, dairy, soy (though I see no benefit in introducing soy anyway), and shellfish. Make sure to introduce one allergen at a time, only with foods that baby has already consumed.


Grains - Babies don’t have the enzymes needed to digest grains right away, so it’s best to hold off for at least a year, but longer is better. It drives me mad that it is still recommended that parents introduce oats and rice cereal to their babies as a first food (not to mention at 4 months old). This is exactly the opposite of what new eaters should be fed. Sure, it fills them up, but offers little nutritional value and may cause digestive issues.

Salt - Babies kidneys aren’t fully developed yet at six months, so salt should be avoided for about the first year.

Sugar - Even though it’s cute to see their smile when you give them ice cream, please avoid sugar. Their bodies just can’t handle it (and neither can yours for that matter ). Hold off for as long as possible.

This is just scraping the surface of all the information out there on feeding babies. I hope to go into more detail in future posts. Please comment and let me know what you would like to know more about when it comes to feeding babies and baby led weaning!

These are some of my favorite products for feeding!

5 lbs Heavier, 5x Happier

Experiencing pregnancy and postpartum has significantly changed my body image, in the most positive way possible. Before getting pregnant, I was pretty self conscious about my body. No matter how “skinny” I was, I was always able to find a flaw when looking in the mirror. I pretty much always felt like I could afford to lose 5 or so pounds (even when I couldn’t). In hindsight, I was crazy.

Since I’m being real, I figured I’d use this picture even though it was taken through a dirty mirror and there are piles of laundry in the background!

Since I’m being real, I figured I’d use this picture even though it was taken through a dirty mirror and there are piles of laundry in the background!

During my second trimester of pregnancy (after all the nausea and bloating went away), I gained an unexpected body confidence. In the past, I always wore loose clothing and would never wear a dress that was too form fitting, in fear that tight clothes would hug the wrong places and show off the fact that I didn’t have a perfectly flat stomach. Now I was suddenly wearing these tight dresses and I felt GREAT. I didn’t feel like I had to “suck it in” all the time in order to look the way I wanted. I didn’t care! I was letting my body doing its thing and loving it.

Fast forward to almost 8 months postpartum, I feel so differently about my body now than I did before pregnancy. I no longer agonize about how I could look better and I truly appreciate my body for what it is - AMAZING. It grew a baby for 9 months and has been feeding one for over 8. I am about 5 pounds heavier than my pre pregnancy weight, but that doesn’t even mean anything. I have hardly weighed myself, to be honest. Even if the number was exactly the same, my body is completely different. It will probably never be the same, so seeing the same number on the scale would be meaningless. When a woman is nursing, her body naturally hang on to about 5 extra pounds due to the hormone prolactin. My nursing days are far from over, so I’m going to love every bit of that five pounds. I’ve learned to accept what my current body is going through and honoring what it needs.

Eating well and exercising have taken on a new meaning. Rather than it be about how I look (which I hate to admit that this was a component in my past), it’s all about feeling good. When I don’t eat well, I’m sluggish and moody and do not act like the best version of myself. This is not someone I want raising my child. If I were to “diet” and restrict my eating, my milk supply would likely be decreased. At this point, breastfeeding is a non negotiable and takes precedence above all else. Exercise is for my sanity and boosts my energy when I feel stuck at home all day. While I used to be an avid runner and considered a “good” workout something intense that had me sweating buckets, I am now happy with a walk, yoga, or light weights (any kind of movement, really!) in my basement. I am generally a person who likes to move, so if I don’t feel like working out one day, I don’t!

Everyday I am reminded how Rory has changed me for the better. I have learned to prioritize where to put my energy and where to let go. Worrying about how thin I look is simply exhausting. Who has time for that?! And this goes without saying, but I am not saying that a postpartum woman should sit on the couch all day and eat whatever she wants. She should eat as clean as possible, get some movement in, and take some time for herself. Taking care of myself while not getting carried away or being too strict has set me up for success as a mother.

Tips for Breastfeeding Success

I hear the story again and again of women trying to breastfeed but stopping quickly because it didn’t work out- whether the baby didn’t take to the breast, the mom wasn’t producing enough breastmilk or it was just too difficult. What if I told you these things are preventable? And that it does get easier? Women don’t get the education and support they need in order to establish a strong breastfeeding relationship with their baby. They also aren’t always educated on how beneficial breastmilk is for babies, but I’ll share that in another post.


Here are some things you can do to increase your chances of breastfeeding success:

• Be patient. Breastfeeding is really really hard in the beginning. Both you and baby are new to this and even though it’s instinctual, you both have a lot of learning to do. I promise, it’s hard work well worth it. You’re giving your baby the best nutrition possible, helping them build their immune system and creating such a special bond with them. ️

• Feed on demand. Don’t worry about putting baby on a feeding schedule from day 1. They’re hungry. A lot. Even if you feel like they want to be on your boob 24/7 in the beginning, allow it and embrace this time on the couch because it won’t last for long.

• Do not supplement with formula, especially in the first few days. For the first three days after your baby is born, you will only produce colostrum in very small amounts . This is all your baby needs. It is very dense and baby's stomach is only the size of a cherry at this point. At this time, your body is producing exactly what it needs to and your baby does not need formula on top of this.

• Lots of skin to skin, not just the day they’re born, but for the first few weeks. This helps create a bond and signals to your breasts that there’s a baby who needs milk!

• Avoid giving baby a bottle for the first month, or 2 weeks at the very least. You produce the amount of milk that baby demands. So if you’re supplementing with a bottle, you boobs get the hint that they’re not needed. 

• Check for tongue and lip ties. These often go undetected and can be detrimental for breastfeeding. It can be painful for mom and make it difficult for baby to latch and/or efficiently eat. Tongue and lip tie procedures take about 30 seconds and can spare you a lot of pain and frustration.

• Drink water. Breastmilk is composed of mostly water, so be sure to drink A LOT. If you’re dehydrated, not only will you feel crappy but your supply will likely decrease. I always had a huge glass of water within arms reach. Using a straw also makes it easier.

• Eat! You burn about 500 extra calories a day to produce milk. If you don’t eat enough, you won’t make enough. Some foods you can consume to help with milk production are oats, flax, fenugreek, healthy fats, and brewers yeast. Make sure your meals and snacks contain enough protein and healthy fats for staying power. Sugar will do you no favors. Keep snacks nearby so you always have easy access when hunger strikes.

• Get help from a lactation consultant. They can your baby get a good latch and help you with positioning. And so much more!

• Avoid induction for the birth, specifically using pitocin. Pitocin is synthetic oxytocin, which is the hormone that not only induces labor, but also signals the breasts to release milk. When given pitocin, the release of oxytocin is inhibited (because the body thinks it's already there!). This can lead to difficulty with maintaining a good supply from the start. Oxytocin is also the hormone that makes you feel connected and head over heals in love with your baby the moment they are born. You may feel less of a connection with you baby at first if you had been given pitocin.

• Co-sleep. Being near your baby at all times, especially in the early days, can help increase milk production. And you can hear when they’re hungry right away so they don’t get worked up and start crying so hard they can’t nurse. 

I can say from personal experience (and from observing others) that all these little things add up to success. We were thrown a lot of curveballs in the first days of Rory’s life: tongue tie, lip tie, thrush, a period of decrease in supply at 2 months after I was away from him for a day, but we both hung in there. We didn’t really get into a good groove until he was about 6 weeks old, and that’s normal! Yes, it can be so difficult, painful, frustrating. But once getting over this hump, it gets so much easier! We are now 7 months into this journey and I can’t imagine ever not breastfeeding. Not only is it the best option nutritionally, but it’s so easy, saves a ton of money, and gives us time to connect. I know I will miss these days when they are over.

Here are some of my favorite products that helped me with breastfeeding.

amazon Block
Search for an Amazon product to display. Learn more

6 Month Postpartum Update

I really dropped the ball on a fourth trimester update! I’m a little disappointed in myself because this trimester is no less important than the previous 3 of pregnancy. However, now that I am writing this six months postpartum, there is a lot I have learned in hindsight. The three months after Rory was born was,a whirlwind and I now have more headspace to wrap my head around it all! I will add a little info about how I’m feeling now as well, so we can call this a fourth and fifth trimester update :)



After giving birth, my belly went down pretty immediately. Obviously it wasn’t back to normal, but I by no means looked pregnant still. At my two week checkup with the midwife, I was only 10 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight; and I was still about the same weight until six months postpartum. I attributed this to my huge boobs due to breastfeeding and how I’ve been eating, also due to breastfeeding. I started the Whole30 on January 1 (you can read more about the first 2 weeks here), and while I have yet to weigh myself, I know that I have lost some weight. More importantly, I feel really good and my clothes fit. Prior to this, I was feeling very uncomfortable in my body and was more than ready to give my body a jumpstart back into my old eating habits and exercise routine.


I’ve shared on here before how I generally eat, and for the most part I have continued to eat pretty clean. However, I really struggled with breastfeeding hunger. It is no joke! In all honesty, I felt like I completely lost control around food. I just didn’t have an off switch and was more likely to indulge in things like bread and desserts when they were available. In the past, I wouldn’t have thought twice about declining. I would eat a meal and then immediately feel hungry again an hour or two later. Midnight snacks were a regular occurrence! Doing the Whole30 has help me gain back control around food. My “sugar dragon” has been tamed and for the past month I have cut out all alcohol, sugar, grains, dairy, legumes. When the Whole30 is over, I plan to stick to a paleo diet because I’ve realized I feel best when I eat this way. If I do reintroduce any of the eliminated foods back into my diet, I plan to do it mindfully and slowly so that I can figure out which were not agreeing with me (I was struggling with a lot of digestive issues up to this point and they are currently resolved).


Fitness has been happening a lot less than I expected. I was having a very hard time finding the time and feeling motivated. I went for my first run at around 10 weeks. I ran/walked for two miles. I am going to hold back on details with this one, but it felt really weird. So for a while I kept it to just walking with Rory in the stroller. At around 3-4 months postpartum I took a few yoga classes and tried to do a short kettlebell workout at home 2-3 days a week.

Now at 6 months postpartum, I’ve finally found a good routine. I do all at home workouts that are under 20 minutes. I’ll alternate between doing kettlebell swings, intervals on the rowing machine and TRX exercises. I still have not gotten back into running and am in no rush to do so. I go for weather-dependent walks with Rory in the stroller or carrier.


This was definitely the most difficult part of my postpartum life. For the first month, I had the “baby blues”, but didn’t feel anything crazy or what I thought was out of the ordinary. However, things started to go downhill at around 6 weeks. This is also when I started to enter “real life” again rather than lay around with my baby all day. It had also been 6 weeks since I had last meditated (which had been a daily practice prior to giving birth). At 6 weeks I took a course to teach childbirth education, which was wonderful, but I really had a hard time navigating such a busy week with a baby. I also started to feel a lot of stress about getting back to work and getting new patients in the door (self inflicted stress). And since I was no longer in the early days of postpartum, I wasn’t getting as much help from friends and family as I had been, when I actually felt like I needed it more.

During this time, I was very emotional and impatient with those closest to me. I was anxious most days and there was a short period of time during which I would wake up feeling depressed and would not have motivation to do anything other than lay on the couch. I would also have crazy, morbid thoughts and fears about Rory. For example, everytime we were on the stairs, I would imagine us both falling down. While driving, I’d think, “what would happen if I got into an accident?” It was really hard to deal with at the time, but luckily, I had people close to me who I could talk to. I eventually made meditation a priority, became clear with my husband about what my needs were, and I slowly became better. At this point, I would say I am 90% better mentally.

Postpartum depression and anxiety happens much more frequently than you may think. The best thing you can do is open up and talk about it so that you can get the support you need.


Sleep was exactly as expected with a newborn! From the beginning, Rory was an overall good sleeper. He woke up twice a night and would fall right back asleep after nursing. We co-slept, so I would not spend much time awake either. Shortly before Rory turned 5 months we hit a sleep regression. He suddenly started waking up 3-4 times per night and it was sometimes difficult to get him back to sleep. About a month later, it got even worse. I felt like we were awake all night long. I had a feeling that he was waking so much because he was in our bed. I decided to go with my gut and let him try sleeping in his crib, and it turned out to be a game changer. During his first night in his crib, Rory woke up once, which had never happened before. Actually, it was the first time putting him to bed wasn’t a huge production. Most of the time, he was very difficult to get to sleep at night and would cry hysterically before finally giving in. I’m still getting used to this new sleeping situation, as I wasn’t planning on putting an end to co-sleeping this early, but I know it’s for the better.

Overall, life is so so great with Rory in it! I can’t imagine life without him. He has already made me a better person and I absolutely love being a mom!

I’ve enjoyed sharing my pregnancy, birth and postpartum journey with you all! If there is anything more you would like to know, please leave a comment. I’m an open book :)

Rory's Birth Story

Before I ever became pregnant, I knew I wanted to have a drug-free birth. It sounded crazy to many people and I was frequently looked at like I had ten heads when I told people that I was giving birth at home, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Women have been giving birth for thousands of years. If they could do it, why couldn’t I? Our bodies are made to do this. I figured that yes, it would be difficult, but it was one day of my life and for me, it was worth it. There are a number of side effects from using an epidural or induction drugs, such as Pitocin. I’ll save my rant on these for another time, but these drugs can interfere with the birth process and the natural cascade of hormones that are released every step of the way, from the first contraction to breastfeeding after the baby is born. Using these drugs can also lead to a higher chance of Cesarean section, which I wanted to avoid. I didn't even want pressure from medical professionals in the hospital to take any of these drugs, so I chose to have a home birth. I have only wonderful feelings about my natural birth experience. I feel so lucky to have the resources I came across during pregnancy. My midwives and doula were beyond amazing and I would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat. They, along with my husband and mom, made up the perfect support system and I am so grateful for every one of them. I am so happy to share my birth experience. It was a long, exhausting, mind-blowing 29 hours, so keep in mind that this is my birth as I remember it. Some minor details may be off. I did not think it would be this long so if you make it through the whole thing, thanks for hanging in there!


My contractions started at 2am on July 10. Right away they were anywhere from about 8 to 30 minutes apart and not very intense. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep much following this but I did sleep a little. For that entire day not much changed. Pat and I just hung out for most of the day. Our big outing was a trip to Costco. It was funny because I felt like I was somewhat able to manipulate contractions, yet in the end, things progressed as nature intended. I went for three walks throughout the day. During these walks, contractions became much more frequent and were about 4 minutes apart. However, once I got home and sat on the couch, they would be up to 12 minutes again. I was so frustrated at how long it was taking, and did not like seeing things slow down, so I hardly sat down all day! In addition to walks, I was also sitting on the birth ball and doing squats and lunges. We pick up our CSA vegetables on Tuesdays, so I was actually trying to prep and cook vegetables since I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it in the upcoming week. Looking back, I probably should have taken advantage of this slow time and just taken a nap!

During the evening, contractions started to get a little more intense and were around 5 minutes apart. At around 10:30 pm my water broke (or so I thought, but more on that later). This happened minutes after speaking to my doula and telling her that I was still ok and that I would check back in with her in an hour. At this point, things started to escalate quickly and contractions became about every 3 minutes. My mom was already on her way to my house, and I called my doula, Jenn, and midwife to let them know it was time to come over. I am so thankful that I had Jenn come when she did because things started to feel more intense at this point and this is around when my back labor started. We took the Bradley class with her, where we learned a lot of pain management techniques, but it was so helpful having her there to guide us in person. She was able to tell Pat what to do to support me and then also give him breaks and help me herself. From around midnight through delivering, someone (usually Pat - he was a rockstar during this) was applying counter pressure on my lower back during almost every single contraction. I labored in my bedroom for a few hours, frequently changing positions. I was resting on my side and would get on my hands and knees if I felt a contraction coming, or I was sitting on the birth ball and would lean on the bed. For about an hour of this time, everyone left Pat and I alone in our room which was nice. I was already exhausted at this point and was falling asleep for a few minutes between each contraction. Periodically, the midwife would check my heart rate and the baby’s heart rate with the doppler. I thought it was so cool to see how the baby was getting lower because she would find his heart rate lower and lower on my belly every time.

After a few hours of this, they suggested that I get in the shower to help with the pain. This felt really great. An older woman lived in our house before we did, so we have a metal bar in our shower to hang on to. I always made fun of it but it was so useful! I would either bend over and hang on it or squat and use it to help me keep my balance. Pat, who was standing outside the shower, was giving me sips of coconut water between contractions. I still tear up when I think about how awesome and supportive he was during all of this.


At this point, my contractions were still all over the place. They would be as close as three minutes, but still sometimes as far as 10 minutes apart. They were intense, but I was still talking to everyone between contractions. Once I was out of the shower, someone suggested that we go downstairs for a change of scenery. I was into it, but now looking back, I don’t remember actually walking down and back up the stairs! While we were downstairs, I had the birth ball on top of a big chair and would lean on that during contractions. I’m not sure when I started doing this, it could’ve been before we were downstairs, but they recommended that I moan very low during contractions. It was easier said than done, because my natural inclination would be to yell or make a sound at a higher pitch, but it really helped me get through. At one point, I accidentally looked at the clock at saw it was 4:30am. Up until this point, I had no idea what time it was. I’m not sure if the time had gone by fast or slow, but for some reason I was surprised by the time.

While we were downstairs, probably around 5 am, I started to tell everyone that I felt like I had to poop. I didn’t know this at the time, but this is apparently a sign that I would be ready to push soon. Shortly after, I felt like I was no longer able to sit down because of the pressure I felt near my butt. My midwife asked if I wanted her to do an internal exam to see how many centimeters dilated I was, but I declined. I was scared that I wouldn’t be very close to 10 cm and I didn’t want to feel discouraged. Based on how I was acting during and between contractions, I didn’t think that I was very far along. I was handling them ok and I was still able to talk to everyone. I had done my homework and learned about the stages of labor and I thought I couldn’t possibly be in transition (the stage just before pushing, when women typically feel as though they “can’t do this anymore”). We went back upstairs to my bedroom at around 5:30 and at this point my contractions became even more intense and were about 3 minutes apart. I changed my mind and had the midwife check me. I was 9 centimeters! I honestly couldn’t believe it. I had actually laughed during the transition phase!

At this point it was time to get in the pool. At first I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not. The water was hot (it has to be around body temperature or a little higher for the baby) but my upper body (when it was out of the water) was cold. However, looking back, I can't imagine having done this not in the pool!  I was still incapable of sitting or laying down because of the pressure I felt near my bottom. The only way I felt comfortable was facing the side of the pool and leaning on it. I’m not sure when exactly I started pushing. I did spontaneous pushing, which means that I only pushed when I felt like I had to. No one was telling me when or how hard to push. My body just decided when it was time and I listened. I started pushing when it actually felt better to push than to not push. While I was very calm during the first stage, it was during this stage that I started to panic. I found the pushing stage to be far more difficult than laboring. It felt like I was taking the biggest, lumpy poop of my life. Sounds started coming out of my mouth that I had never heard before. I started crying, yelling “I can’t do this”, and definitely dropped a few F bombs. I honestly felt like he would never come out.


I have no clue when his head vs the rest of his body actually came out. But at one point, my midwife told me that he was still in the amniotic sac. I was a little confused because I thought my water had broken the night before. I had felt like I was leaking liquid for most of the night. However, the sac actually has two layers, and only the outer layer had broken. I consider this divine intervention because I had tested positive for Group B Strep and chose not to take antibiotics. I was not worried that my baby would contract GBS because the risk of infection is so low combined with the fact that I did a number of things to even further decrease the risk.  I will share more in another post about how I treated Group B Strep naturally.

At another point, I heard the midwife say that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. I share this because this is one scenario that people were concerned about when I shared that I was having a home birth.  She was able to simply put her hand between the cord and the baby’s neck and unwrap it. It was so uneventful and there was no fear at all. It happened, it was handled and we just moved on.

Prior to giving birth, I had prepared many birth affirmation flags to hang up in my room. The idea was that I could look at them and use them as a coping mechanism when I felt like I wanted to give up. I never got to actually hanging up these flags. They remained in a box in my bedroom. However, just making them made a difference! When I was I was in the pool, and maybe even a little before that, I found myself  repeating to myself, “Open” and “Breathe Baby Down”, among some other affirmations. These were things that I had written on my flags. I found it to be very calming, helpful and even productive.

I felt like my time spent pushing in the pool would never end. I remember thinking to myself, “Am I going to have PTSD from this?!” Eventually, after about an hour and a half, my midwife told me that the next push could potentially be the last one. I couldn’t believe it. When the contraction came, the baby was definitely coming out, but I started freaking out as well. I felt, and started screaming, that he was stuck and he couldn’t get out. I was encouraged to keep going, and I did, and Rory Matthew Magee was born at 7:41am on July 11.


Once he was out, I think I went into shock. I was shaking and could not stop crying. I felt paralyzed and couldn’t even turn around. The midwife said that if I turned around and sat down, I could hold him. I sobbed, “But I don’t even know how to hold an infant!” Luckily, being able to hold an infant comes very easily when he’s yours! Looking back now, it all seems like a blur. Delayed cord clamping was important to us, so after about 10-15 minutes, Pat cut the cord and then he took over skin to skin duties so that I could get out of the pool and onto my bed to deliver the placenta. Rory was placed back on my chest and shortly after, he latched on and started nursing.

The time after the birth was amazing because we were already at home! All of the clean up was taken care of and our job was to just love on Rory and rest for the remainder of the day. As far as recovery goes, I bounced back incredibly fast. I was obviously sore, but other than that, I felt really great. I am so happy that Rory is finally here. The past few weeks have been unreal. As expected, it has been a challenge, but at the same time so amazing and full of love. As for the birth itself, even though at the time I questioned my sanity, I am now obsessed with birthing naturally at home and will absolutely do it again.

As I said, I loved my midwives and doula. I highly recommend them. Here are links to their information if you are interested:

Gaia Midwives - Amanda and Ashley were present for my labor and birth, respectively.

Jenn Barry was my doula. You can find her at The Village Sprout.



Ready to Rock Motherhood

It's not a secret that pregnancy through early childhood nutrition is a passion of mine. Now that I've gone through pregnancy, natural childbirth, and am in the thick of raising a tiny human, I'm ready to run with it! I feel that I will be writing a lot about these topics in the future so I thought I'd make these posts separate from those about general nutrition and lifestyle. 

Long before I got pregnant, I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and became obsessed with birth stories. This book became such an inspiration for me and I truly believe reading the positive, empowering stories helped me gain the confidence and strength I needed for my own birth. I plan to write and share my own birth story in the near future. It was the craziest, most difficult, most empowering and amazing day of my life. I truly feel like a badass and I believe that every woman deserves to feel the same as I do about her birth experience.

Now that Rory is finally here, I am so excited to discuss topics about raising children naturally and holistically. In these posts, I want to include a mix of my own experiences and evidence based research so that I may best benefit whoever is open to receiving the information I lovingly share.

For now, here are links to pregnancy posts that I shared over the past 9 months:

I'm Pregnant!

Nutrition Response Testing and Fertility

Prenatal Supplements

Pregnancy Update - First Trimester

Pregnancy Update - Second Trimester

Pregnancy Update - Third Trimester

It's A Boy!

Bulletproof Dandelion Tea